Eleanor Tucker is a Tasmanian songwriter, teacher and musician. Drawing on a wide range of influences from blues and folk to Latin and jazz, she possesses a uniquely warm and whimsical style, and a voice once described as “comforting as mulled wine in a blizzard”.
Eleanor grew up in a house with great acoustics, a mother who sang daily and three older brothers who were all passionate about music. With access to a wildly eclectic record collection and very little television, she started writing songs at around the age of six and soon became hooked. Eleanor took up playing guitar, performing in public during her late teens, before commencing a Bachelor of Music at the Tasmanian Conservatorium of Music. Since then, she has worked across a broad range of genres performing jazz, cabaret, Latin big band and a cappella ‘world’ music, singing both as a soloist and ensemble member with groups throughout Australia and Europe. As a performer, composer and guitarist, she has worked with world-renowned companies including Circus Oz, Terrapin Puppet Theatre and Blindman’s Holiday.
Passionate about working within community-based projects, Eleanor has extensive experience facilitating song writing, singing and music workshops at factories, correctional centres and for people with various disabilities. She has been commissioned to write and arrange material for the Hobart Women’s Shelter choir as well as the Tasmanian QTas choir. In 2021, Eleanor completed writing and recording a series of 12 songs with members of the community music group, Thirsty Ground. These are performed as a musical variety show titled, Showtime.
Working with the education and outreach branch of the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra, Eleanor has composed and arranged a suite of 8 pieces featuring the ukulele and orchestral instruments, and created a range of teaching and learning resources to accompany these pieces. The TSO Uke Box pieces have been video recorded and are available as play-along/sing-along videos via Youtube (TSO Ukebox).
Eleanor currently works as a high school music teacher. In addition to this she regularly performs with her own musical trio, Dreamboat and plays and sings with salsa band Son del Sur. She continues to write for both student and professional ensembles.
- Trombone accompanist for QTas choir, Stories To Song’ show, 2014-15
- Singer and percussionist for salsa band Son Del Sur, 2005 – ongoing
- Lead singer, guitarist/ composer for Dreamboat (all originals trio), 2009 – ongoing
- Percussionist for Escape and Arrival, Festival of Voices, 2012
- Vocalist and hand percussionist with Jorge do Prado (Sydney)1998-2001
- Vocalist/composer for Blindman’s Holiday (a Cappella quintet)1998- 2000
- Terrapin Puppet Theatre (The Voice)1995
- Acrobat with Circus Oz, 1988
Soloist engagements include:
- Jose Prates Tropicana Big Band (Sydney)1997-2000
- Bob Barnard, Graeme Lyall & Moments Notice (concerts/tours)1991–1992
- IHOS Opera (Days and Nights with Christ)1992
- Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra (ABC nationwide Christmas special)1991
- Dodo Sosoka & The International Jazz Quartet (Bratislava Jazz Festival)1991